For any transfer credit questions in Mathematics, talk with the current department chair. Students seeking to transfer credits from other colleges are encouraged to seek approval for those courses BEFORE registering for them.
Math 105 (Calculus I) and Math 106 (Calculus II) at Bates
Math 105 covers techniques of differentiation (such as the product and chain rules), applications of the derivative (such as finding maxima and minima and doing optimizations), and an introduction to the definite integral. Math 106 covers techniques and applications of integration, as well as infinite series (including Taylor series).
AP scores giving credit for math courses at Bates
- A 4 or 5 on the BC Calculus exam earns credit for Math 105 and 106.
- A 4 or 5 on the AB Calculus exam earns credit for Math 105, as does a 4 or 5 on the AB
portion of the BC exam.
- A 4 or 5 on the Statistics exam earns credit for Math 101.
- You may also wish to consult the Bates Registrar’s policies on Advanced Placement, which you can find here.
Clarifications about not double-counting AP credits
- If Bates has granted you AP credit for both Math 105 and Math 106, you cannot take one or both of those courses here to earn more graduation credit(s)
- If you earned a 4 or 5 on the AB exam and then a 4 or 5 on the BC exam, you earn a total of two credits at Bates, one for Math 105 and one for Math 106.
- If you earned a 4 or 5 on the AB exam and then a 3 or lower on the BC exam with a 4 or 5 on its AB subscore portion, you earn one Bates credit for Math 105.
IB (International Baccalaureate) math
Each higher level (HL) math course earns 1 credit for a score of 5 and 2 credits for a score of 6 or 7. A subsidiary level (SL) math course earns 1 credit for a score of 6 or 7. The first IB math credit counts for Math 105, the second for Math 106, and any additional credit is considered as an unspecified credit. No double-counting with AP Calculus or A-level math is allowed.
A grade of A in A-level Mathematics earns credit for Math 105 and Math 106. A grade of B or C in A-level Mathematics earns credit for Math 105. A grade of A or B in A-level Further Mathematics earns one unspecified credit in Bates Math. No credit is earned for O-level or AS-level mathematics. No double-counting with AP or IB is allowed. For further information, see https://www.bates.edu/A-Level-Policy.xml