CCTV Monitoring Policy
The purpose of this policy is to regulate the use of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) to monitor and record on campus for the purposes of safety and security. This policy applies to all personnel and property of the College in the use of CCVT monitoring and recording.
- Campus Safety and Security is committed to enhancing the quality of life of the campus community by integrating the best practices of the campus safety with the state of the art technology. A critical component of a comprehensive security program is the use of CCTV.
- CCTV monitoring is used in public areas by Security and Campus Safety to deter crime and to assist in protecting the college community and property.
- Information obtained via CCTV monitoring will be used exclusively for security and law enforcement purposes. Information obtained by CCTV monitoring will only be released when authorized by both the Director of Security and Campus Safety and the Dean of Students or the President of the College.
- CCTV monitoring of public areas for security purposes will be conducted in a manner consistent with existing College policies, including Non-Discrimination Policy, the Sexual Harassment Policy, and other relevant policies.
- CCTV monitoring of public areas for security purposes at Bates College is limited to uses that do not violate the reasonable expectation of privacy as defined by the law.
- Images and any related data collected by CCTV are the property of Bates College
- The Director of Security and Campus Safety has the responsibility to authorize all CCTV monitoring for the safety and security purposes at Bates College in consultation with the Vice President for Information and Library Services and the Dean of Students.
- The Department of Security and Campus Safety is authorized to oversee and coordinate the use of CCTV monitoring equipment at the College. Security and Campus Safety has the primary responsibility for disseminating and implementing policy and procedures.
- Security and Campus Safety will monitor new developments in the law and industry standards and protections.
- All operators and supervisors involved in CCTV monitoring of public areas will perform their duties consistent with the policy developed by the Department of Security and Campus Safety.
- Security and Campus Safety will post signage where appropriate.
- Security and Campus Safety will limit camera positions and views of residential housing. Any view given of housing will be no greater than what is available with unaided vision. Furthermore, any view must not violate the standard of “a reasonable expectation of policy.”
- The CCTV monitoring center will be configured so as to prevent the tampering with or duplicating of information.
- Recording video media will be stored for a period not to exceed 14 days and will then be erased, unless retained as part of a criminal investigation or court proceedings (Civil and Criminal), or other bona fide use as approved by the Director of Security and Campus Safety.
- Video Media will be stored in a secure location with access by authorized personnel only.
- Mobile or portable CCTV equipment may be used to ensure the safety and security of the college community.
This policy is reviewed and approved by the Senior Staff of the College, and is subject to change without prior notice.
Approved 27 May 2008