We offer a variety of selections daily to accommodate students’ needs. We realize every person has different preferences, and we strive to provide every student with healthy and enjoyable meal choices. An operation’s culture personifies and personalizes a team’s existence. It offers feeling, caring, emotion, enthusiasm and passion for its mission.
An Award Winning Team
Bates College Dining Services’ high standards and commitment to excellence have earned us recognition for a job well done!
- 2021: Niche, Rated #10 Best Food Service!
- 2020: Niche, Rated #5 Best Food Service!
- 2016-2017: Niche, A+ for campus food!
- 2013-2017: Green Restaurant Association – 3 Star Certified
- * The institution moved to AASHE (Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education) Rating System for Sustainability. The AASHE Rating is TBD.
- 2015: Harward Center Staff Award for Outstanding Support for Community Volunteerism, Leadership or Engagement
- 2009-2012: Green Restaurant Association – 2 Star Certified
- 2007: Harward Center Staff Award for Outstanding Support for Community Partnership
- 2007: American Culinary Federation Maine Chapter, Inc. – Associate Member of the Year
- 2005: NACUFS, Loyal E. Horton Dining Award – Second Place- Special Event/Catering
- 2005: Princeton Review – #7 of 351 Colleges for Great Food!
- 2004: NACUFS, Loyal E. Horton Dining Award – First Place – Special Event / Catering – Cat’s Cup Culinary Challenge
- 2004: Princeton Review – #10 of 351 Colleges for Great Food!
- 2003: NACUFS, Loyal E. Horton Dining Award – Third Place Residence Hall Dining – Theme Dinner Harvest Meal
- 2003: United States Environmental Protection Agency – Best Management Practices for our Composting Program
- 2002: NACUFS, Customer Satisfaction Benchmarking Survey. Overall satisfaction, Bates Dining scored 47% higher than the average score of participating Colleges.
- 2002: Green Restaurant Association, Bates College Dining was the first College to become a member
- 2001: National Wildlife Federation – Leading School on their Report Card on Environmental Performance and Sustainability in Higher Education
- 2000: Stanton Environmental Award for Advancing the Goal of the Bates Green Action Plan
- 2000: Best of the Best Earth Day ReNew America National Award for Sustainability – category of waste prevention / recycling
- 1999: Special recipient of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Award for Environmental Leadership
- 1999: National Award for Sustainability – Recognized for best practices that encourage environmental sustainability by ReNew America and the President’s Council on Sustainable Development
- 1998: Recognized in “Greening the Ivory Tower” (MIT Press, 1998) a book by Sarah Hammond Creighton on best environmental practices among colleges, universities and other institutions.
To read more about sustainability at Bates, be sure to check out the Bates Sustainability website.
Associate Vice President for Dining, Conferences and Campus Events
Director of Dining Services
Associate Director of Board Plan Operations
Assistant Director of Board Plan Operations
Ken Smith, Jr.
Assistant Director of Operations
Assistant Director Special Projects and Student Employments
(207) 786-6301 extension 1
Business and Technology Manager