Extending Your Program End Date

If you will not be completing your studies at Bates College before the program end date on your I-20, you will need to request an extension for your immigration document. Please first discuss the academic extension with your academic advisor and the Academic Standing Committee. If the academic extension is approved, a new I-20 will be issued for you with an amended program end date once your academic record has been updated to reflect your new graduation term. Please keep in mind that your F-1 visa may expire before your new program end date, and you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa if you plan to travel outside of the U.S. and return to Bates College after the current visa expires, even if your extended I-20 is valid.

Failure to extend your I-20 before its end date will greatly jeopardize your F-1 status.