Community Volunteer Opportunities
One-Time or Occasional Volunteer Opportunities
- Seniors Plus is looking for Kitchen Helpers/Packers to assist with preparation of meals or packing of delivered meals at the Lewiston production kitchen, one or more days per week, Monday through Thursday mornings from 8:30 to 11 am. Contact Volunteer Services at SeniorsPlus by phone at 207-795-4010 or by email at email@example.com for
- New Beginnings is an organization that works with homeless youth ages 14-21 and is located only a block from campus. They welcome volunteers to help with meals, to organize and maintain a clothing closet, and to help with cleaning the building. For more information, contact Ethan at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Blake Street Towers and Meadowview (Lewiston Housing Authority residences for low-income elderly and younger disabled) are happy to have volunteers plan social events–meals, game nights, performances, etc.; contact Cate Day (email@example.com).
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank prepares food for distribution throughout the state; contact Asher MacDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ongoing or Sustained Volunteer Opportunities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters—one-on-one weekly one-hour matches with Longley Elementary School students. Contact Marty Deschaines (email@example.com).
- Montello Mentoring Program–one-on-one weekly one-hour matches with Montello Elementary School students. Contact Adam Blau (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tutoring and Enrichment Programs
- Hillview After-School—Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:15-4:45pm; contact Brie Wilson (email@example.com).
- Montello Book Buddies–reading to early-elementary-age children during the school day; contact George Steckel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Tree Street Youth—Mondays through Thursdays, 2-6pm; Friday 2-4pm; contact email@example.com.
- Boys and Girls Club—after-school programming; contact Maura Moody (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lewiston Public Library— Mondays through Thursdays, 3:15-5:15pm; contact Sam Findlen-Golden (email@example.com).
- The Root Cellar–This is a faith-based organization that serves people in the downtown neighborhoods. Opportunities to help with adult English language classes, food pantry work, and afterschool children’s programming. Contact Joel Furrow at 207-782-3659.
English Language Learners
- Maine Immigrant and Refugee Services—preparation for citizenship testing; after-school homework help; contact Katherine Cabral (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Adult Learning Center–tutor English language learners; contact Laurie Champagne (email@example.com).
- Trinity Soup Kitchen—serves meals 7 days a week; contact Erin Reed (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lots to Gardens—community gardening and cooking classes; contact Asher MacDonald (email@example.com).
- Good Shepherd Food Bank—preparing food for distribution throughout the state; contact Asher MacDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Blake Street Towers—promote social activities with elderly and younger disabled; contact Cate Day (email@example.com).
- Alzheimer’s Association Legacy Scribes–help listen to and then write down the memories of those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementias. Contact Marty Deschaines (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Social Learning Center Friendship Program–form a one-on-one friendship with a person with a disability. Contact Emily Halford (email@example.com).
- ArtVan— mobile arts therapy working with non-profits in Lewiston-Auburn; contact Katie Leeke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Art programming at Hillview Family Development—weekly art projects with youth aged 6-16; contact Katie Leeke (email@example.com).
- Dance programming at the YWCA–dance classes for children and youth; contact Shae Gwydir (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center— contact Jenny Cowie; 207-777-8369; email@example.com.
- Central Maine Medical Center—contact Sue Hedrich; 207-795-2472; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Programs (some of these require extensive training)
- Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice—hospice visiting, event assistance, office help; contact Kristen McEvoy (email@example.com).
- Safe Voices—domestic violence prevention program; contact Tory Stanton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Greater Androscoggin Humane Society—Sandy Graul, 207-783-2311, email@example.com.
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Services—firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Center for Wisdom’s Women—a sacred and safe place that supports and empowers women; contact Klara Tammany (email@example.com).
- College Guild—engage with incarcerated individuals through a well-organized program; contact Cristopher Hernandez Sifontes (firstname.lastname@example.org).