Community Volunteer Opportunities
One-Time or Occasional Volunteer Opportunities
- Aspirations programming—on-campus aspirations events for local children and youth. Contact Ronan Goulden (email@example.com).
- Blake Street Towers and Meadowview (Lewiston Housing Authority residences for low-income elderly and younger disabled) are happy to have volunteers plan social events–meals, game nights, performances, etc. Contact Emily Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank prepares food for distribution throughout the state. Contact Nimco Jama (email@example.com).
Ongoing or Sustained Volunteer Opportunities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – one-on-one weekly one-hour matches with elementary school kids at Longley Elementary School. Contact Jennifer Cartmell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Auburn Middle School – Biweekly mentoring for middle school students. Contact Ronan Goulden (email@example.com)
- Lewiston High School – Biweekly mentoring for high school students. Particularly suited for Bates students committed to mentoring for longer than one year. Contact Ronan Goulden (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Montello Elementary School – one-on-one weekly one-hour matches with elementary school kids. Contact Ava Petrin (email@example.com)
- Lewiston Middle School lunch program – have lunch with LMS students once a week. Contact Trinity Monstwillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tutoring and Enrichment Programs
- Tree Street Youth – Mondays through Thursdays, 2-6pm; Friday 2-4pm. Contact Leslie Jimenez (email@example.com)
- Lewiston High School — Provide targeted reading and math tutoring as well as homework help for high school students. Contact Ellen Alcorn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Book Buddies – reading to early-elementary-age children during the school day. Contact Contact Anna Sarrazin (email@example.com).
- Aspirations programming – on-campus aspirations events for local children and youth. Contact Ronan Goulden (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Boys and Girls Club – after-school programming. Contact Luke Van Denend (email@example.com).
- Trinity Soup Kitchen – serves meals 7 days a week. Contact Janelle Poland (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lots to Gardens – community gardening and cooking classes. Contact Nimco Jama (email@example.com).
- Good Shepherd Food Bank – preparing food for distribution throughout the state. Contact Nimco Jama (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Blake Street Towers – serve Sunday brunch to elderly and younger disabled residents. Contact Emily Walsh (email@example.com).
- ArtVan – mobile arts therapy working with non-profits in Lewiston-Auburn. Contact Contact Kai Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Immigrant Integration Programming
- Trinity Jubilee Center – help immigrants and refugees with employment, housing, education, and other challenges. Contact Hunter Kissam (email@example.com)
- AK Health and Social Services- After school programs, community needs assessment and other programs. Contact Abdikhadar Shire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MEIRS — Help newcomers with English, citizenship classes, and community integration. Contact Ulyses Hernandex Felipe (email@example.com)
Other Programs (some of these require extensive training)
- Central Maine Medical Center—Contact Volunteering@cmhc.org
- St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center – Contact Elizabeth Keene; 207-777-8369; firstname.lastname@example.org. (Volunteers help transport patients within the hospital, assist with departmental projects, deliver flowers to patient rooms, greet patients, provide directions to departments and more. The only requirement is a desire to help others in a friendly and personable manner).
- Androscoggin Home Healthcare and Hospice – hospice visiting, event assistance, office help. Contact Ron Hood, (Ron.Hood@androscoggin.
- Safe Voices – domestic violence prevention program. Contact Alyssa Coyne, email@example.com; 795-6744.
- An Angel’s Wing—assist with issues around substance use disorder; contact Debra York, 207-513-6051, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greater Androscoggin Humane Society – Contact Sandy Graul, 207-783-2311, (email@example.com).
- Center for Wisdom’s Women – a sacred and safe place that supports and empowers women; Sonia Turgeon , (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact Darby Ray (email@example.com) to talk about other options!