Community Volunteer Opportunities
One-Time or Occasional Volunteer Opportunities
- Aspirations programming—on-campus aspirations events for local children and youth. Contact Ronan Goulden (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Blake Street Towers and Meadowview (Lewiston Housing Authority residences for low-income elderly and younger disabled) are happy to have volunteers plan social events–meals, game nights, performances, etc.; Contact Annika Mirchandani, (email@example.com)
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank prepares food for distribution throughout the state; contact Maddie Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ongoing or Sustained Volunteer Opportunities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – one-on-one weekly one-hour matches with elementary school kids at Longley Elementary School. Contact Jennifer Cartmell (email@example.com).
- Lewiston Middle School lunch program – have lunch with LMS students once a week. Contact Lauren Nudi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tutoring and Enrichment Programs
- Tree Street Youth – Mondays through Thursdays, 2-6pm; Friday 2-4pm; contact Keenan Shields (email@example.com).
- Book Buddies – reading to early-elementary-age children during the school day. Contact Contact Anna Sarrazin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Aspirations programming – on-campus aspirations events for local children and youth. Contact Ronan Goulden (email@example.com).
- Boys and Girls Club – after-school programming. Contact Luke Van Denend (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Trinity Soup Kitchen – serves meals 7 days a week; contact Janelle Poland (email@example.com).
- Lots to Gardens – community gardening and cooking classes; contact Maddie Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Good Shepherd Food Bank – preparing food for distribution throughout the state; contact Maddie Lee (email@example.com).
- Blake Street Towers – serve Sunday brunch to elderly and younger disabled residents; contact Annika Mirchandani, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ArtVan – mobile arts therapy working with non-profits in Lewiston-Auburn. Contact Mary Elizabeth Tune (email@example.com).
Immigrant Integration Programming
- Trinity Jubilee Center – help immigrants and refugees with employment, housing, education, and other challenges. Contact Janelle Poland (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- AK Health and Social Services- After school programs, community needs assessment and other programs. Contact Abdikhadar Shire (email@example.com)
Other Programs (some of these require extensive training)
- Central Maine Medical Center—Contact Volunteering@cmhc.org
- St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center – Contact Elizabeth Keene; 207-777-8369; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Androscoggin Home Healthcare and Hospice – hospice visiting, event assistance, office help. Contact Ron Hood, (Ron.Hood@androscoggin.
- Safe Voices – domestic violence prevention program. Contact Alyssa Coyne, email@example.com; 795-6744.
- An Angel’s Wing—assist with issues around substance use disorder; contact Debra York, 207-513-6051, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greater Androscoggin Humane Society – Contact Sandy Graul, 207-783-2311, (email@example.com).
- Center for Wisdom’s Women – a sacred and safe place that supports and empowers women; Sonia Turgeon , (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact Hamza Abdi (email@example.com) to talk about other options!