Community Volunteer Opportunities
For those interested in volunteering in the off-campus community, our local and statewide communities offer a range of partners and projects, including one-time or short-term opportunities and ongoing or sustained opportunities. In addition to the opportunities listed below, Harward Center staff members are happy to meet with individuals and groups interested in exploring other possibilities.
One-Time or Occasional Volunteer Opportunities
- United Way Day of Caring, September 15. Volunteer to help with one of a range of community projects. For more information contact Larry Marcoux, 207-795-4000.
- New Beginnings, an organization that works with homeless youth and is located only a block from campus, would love to have some Bates volunteer energy in their weekly pick-up basketball games. They play on Monday evenings from 6:30-8:30pm. If this sounds like your kind of volunteer gig, contact Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- New Beginnings would also like to offer a yoga class but needs an enthusiastic volunteer instructor or two. For more information or to express interest, contact Marc (email@example.com).
- Blake Street Towers and Meadowview (Lewiston Housing Authority residences for low-income elderly and younger disabled) are happy to have volunteers plan social events–meals, game nights, performances, etc.; contact Kamilla Domjan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank prepares food for distribution throughout the state; contact Gabby O’Leary (email@example.com).
Ongoing or Sustained Volunteer Opportunities
Tutoring and Enrichment Programs
- Hillview After-School—Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:15-4:45pm; contact Hannah Yibrah (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Tree Street Youth—Mondays through Thursdays, 2-6pm; Friday 2-4pm; contact Ibrahim Achekh (email@example.com).
- Boys and Girls Club—after-school programming; contact Maura Moody (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Lewiston Public Library— Mondays through Thursdays, 3:15-5:15pm; contact Talia Martino (email@example.com).
- The Root Cellar–This is a faith-based organization that serves people in the downtown neighborhoods. Opportunities to help with adult English language classes, food pantry work, and afterschool children’s programming. Contact Joel Furrow at 207-782-3659.
English Language Learners
- Maine Immigrant and Refugee Services—preparation for citizenship testing; after-school homework help; contact Marty Deschaines (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Trinity Soup Kitchen—serves meals 7 days a week; contact Erin Reed (email@example.com).
- Lots to Gardens—community gardening and cooking classes; contact Gabby O’Leary (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Good Shepherd Food Bank—preparing food for distribution throughout the state; contact Gabby O’Leary (email@example.com).
- Blake Street Towers—promote social activities with elderly and younger disabled; contact Helene Sudac (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ArtVan— mobile arts therapy working with non-profits in Lewiston-Auburn; contact Sarah Douglas (email@example.com).
- Art programming at Hillview Family Development—weekly art projects with youth aged 6-16; contact Sarah Douglas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center— contact Jenny Cowie; 207-777-8369; email@example.com.
- Central Maine Medical Center—contact Sue Hedrich; 207-795-2472; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Programs (some of these require extensive training)
- Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice—hospice visiting, event assistance, office help; contact Kristen McEvoy (email@example.com).
- Safe Voices—domestic violence prevention program; contact Staci Beal at 207-795-6744.
- Greater Androscoggin Humane Society—Sandy Graul, 207-783-2311, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Services—email@example.com.
- Center for Wisdom’s Women—a sacred and safe place that supports and empowers women; contact Klara Tammany (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- College Guild—engage with incarcerated individuals through a well-organized program; contact Cristopher Hernandez Sifontes (email@example.com).