Traveling with Family Members
GUIDELINES FOR OFFICIAL BATES COLLEGE TRAVEL WHEN FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS ACCOMPANY A BATES FACULTY OR STAFF MEMBER
This applies to travel lasting up to six to eight weeks. Travel on FSA semester-long trips is not covered by these guidelines.
1. Bates faculty or staff on official activities, whether those activities are teaching or other business, must be able to devote their attention full time to those activities.
2. The Dean of Faculty understands that in some circumstances faculty and staff may wish to ask family members or partners to join them on an official Bates trip.
3. Family members, partners or friends accompanying a Bates trip must pay all their own expenses.
4. If students are part of the trip, the faculty or staff responsible must make clear to those students that accompanying family, partners or friends are not teachers, nor do they make decisions concerning the students.
5. The presence of accompanying family, partners or friends must not interfere with the ability of the responsible faculty or staff to carry out their responsibilities. During some trip activities, itmay be appropriate for accompanying persons not to participate. For example, at some performances or meetings, the presence of children may interfere with the activities.
6. For trips involving more than one responsible faculty or staff member, those people must consult well in advance of the trip concerning the presence of accompanying persons. They must agree about the suitability of such persons participating on the trip overall, and during specific activities.
7. Should any faculty or staff reporting to the Office of the Dean of Faculty have any questions regarding the appropriateness of the participation on Bates trips of accompanying persons, they should consult with the deans of faculty.