Using the Database
The homepage for the Bates Museum of Art’s online database features permanent collection highlights, which are organized into six categories. Object records in these portfolios provide information about some of the collection strengths.
The top menu bar allows for search options. The “Quick Search” or “Advanced Search” provides more options for viewing the collection. “Browse” tab navigates through a hierarchical index of portfolios.
Select a highlight portfolio to view a list of records. From there, objects may be selected by clicking on the image or title. Continue viewing more object records by using the next/last button on the top and bottom of the screen. To view a list of works by an artist, select the artist’s name on the list view or in the Browse tab under “Artists”.
An object record’s page includes information about the object and, if available, an image that can be enlarged by clicking on it. If there are related artworks they are listed below.
A portfolio list can be categorized using the “Filtered Results” tab on the center right of the screen.
To create a new portfolio of collection objects for your own
- Choose “My Portfolios” under the User Log in button.
- Enter a portfolio name in the “Name of the New Portfolio” box.
- Click the “Create New Portfolio” button.
To share existing portfolios with the public:
NOTE: When publicly sharing a portfolio, FIRST include your course number / title, or your name before the portfolio’s subject.
- Click the “My Portfolios” option from the User Login button in the top menu.
- Click the “Properties” link for the portfolio you would like to share.
- Mark “Shared?” as “Yes” and click “Save.”
Adding objects to portfolios:
- Select any object record you wish to add to your portfolio.
- Click the “Add to Portfolio” button below the object record’s image.
To view or edit existing portfolios, click the “My Portfolios” link under the User Log in button.