Criteria for Approval
New club proposals are evaluated by the BCSG Budgets & Clubs Board according to the following criteria:
- Compliance with the Bates College Student Handbook and College policies, including the College’s non-discrimination policy.
- Clearly articulated purpose, objectives, and goals of the proposed student organization.
- Demonstrated non-duplication of the mission/ purpose of previously recognized organizations. Demonstrated avoidance of evident similarity with another already-recognized student club.
- Feasibility of funding the organization’s goals or projects.
- Local autonomy of the club: club is led completely by Bates students without direction, interference, pressure from, or obligation to, any entity external to the Bates community (e.g., a parent organization, national chapter, or charter). If the external entity maintains guidelines, policies, or other documents of any kind that are found by BCB to be in conflict with the Student Code of Conduct, the BCSG-Recognized Club Handbook, or the Bates College non-discrimination policy, the proposed club must disavow such items in writing in order to be approved. The club may not function solely or predominantly as a fundraising vehicle for the outside entity, or as a means for the outside entity to host events/programs on campus.
- Interest by no fewer than seven Bates student-members.
- Demonstrated plan for sustainability of the organization.
- Demonstrated plan for storing club equipment/resources, if applicable.
- Demonstrated benefit to the members, campus, and/or community.
- Demonstrated need for recognition based on benefits provided to Bates-recognized organizations.