Off-Campus Travel Policy

Travel Orientation & Approval

Before applying for off-campus travel, club/org leaders must complete the Club/Org Travel Orientation on Bates Engage.

BCSG-Recognized Clubs and Campus Life-Supported Organizations may apply to travel off-campus by submitting a Travel Approval Form.  Campus Life will review the submission and reach out if any additional information is required. The travel is not considered approved until the submitter receives an approval email.

Upon approval, Campus Life staff will reach out via email to schedule a post-trip meeting, to be held within seven days of the club/org’s return to campus. The meeting will entail a trip debrief, as well as completion of a Travel & Expense Report to resolve all outstanding costs related to the trip. After the Travel & Expense Report has been approved, BCSG-recognized clubs should upload it to their Bates Engage Accounting Book for accurate record keeping.

If you have questions about club/org off-campus travel, or would like to talk about having a trip approved, please contact Campus Life at


Clubs/orgs are required to abide by the college’s Transportation Expenses policy when planning transportation for travel.

Students are not permitted to use personal vehicles to transport passengers for club/org travel. This is because if a personal vehicle is used, the college’s auto and third party liability insurance will not apply. Responsibility would fall to the driver’s personal auto and health insurance providers, even if it is for a Bates sponsored event. Furthermore, students traveling would be personally responsible for travel costs, and would not be permitted to use club/org funds on the trip.

If a club/org is using a rental van (usually with 10 to 12 person capacity), there must be at minimum two individuals in the vehicle with Bates Driver Safety Certification. Each person may drive no more than four hours at a time, and must take at minimum a two hour break between driving shifts.

In the case of an accident or breakdown involving a motor vehicle, please follow the guidelines here.

Due to contractual agreements with local companies, Campus Life staff maintains responsibility for booking buses for club/org travel. All other forms of transportation may be arranged by students. Club/org funds may not be spent on air fare. Please consult with Campus Life for guidance as needed.


When selecting lodging accommodations for overnight trips, it is required that each individual traveling has their own sleeping accommodations (e.g., their own bed, sleeping bag, couch, etc.)

About Bates Insurance

Bates College’s property and auto insurance is provided by Travelers, liability insurance by United Educators, and travel accident insurance by The Hartford.

When participating in Bates sponsored events, activities, and programs, and abiding by the necessary terms and conditions, the college’s auto and third party liability coverage applies and serves as the primary insurance responsible for damages incurred to the college owned or rented vehicles and to any injuries or damages to third party persons or properties. However, students’ personal medical coverage applies and serves as the primary insurance responsible for personal medical costs.

Events, activities, and programs are covered during academic breaks, provided they are Bates sponsored. Events, activities, and programs are Bates sponsored when they are associated with a BCSG-recognized club and/or a Bates office or department.

When participating in any college sponsored event, activity, or program, please make sure that you review and understand the terms and conditions of your personal medical insurance as some activities under your insurance may not be covered. If you have Cross insurance through Bates, you can visit the policy here or contact either Mike Parkin, or Lisa Farrington, to learn more.

Travel Coverage

When traveling to and from a Bates sponsored event, the college’s auto and third party liability insurance will be in effect only if the following are followed:

Additional Information

Prior to departing for travel, drivers should ensure that the insurance card and motor vehicle registration card are in the vehicle.