Re-creating Abbey Road

LA Arts is the arts agency of Lewiston-Auburn. As a part of the Bates College work study program, I began working with them this past October. One of the things I appreciate the most about my role is that I am able to use my passion for art to engage with Lewiston residents.

A few years ago, two other Bates students created a digital map of all the public art in Lewiston and Auburn. That map includes photos and brief descriptions of each art work, as well as suggestions for walking, driving, and biking tours to view diverse works of public art. To make the map more useful for the community, my community partner and I wanted to update the list of art works and the self-guided tour routes, and also to turn the map into an attractive printed flier. Using the map, I explored potential public art tour routes and got to see how beautiful Lewiston is, despite the stigma that often attaches to the city. After my tours, I did some research on public art in Lewiston, how public art can strengthen Lewiston’s reputation, and how LA Arts can be involved.

I discovered that increasing public art can have a massive impact on safety, employment opportunities, education, public perception, and pride within a community or neighborhood. Public art must be commissioned and designed thoughtfully, as art that reflects a neighborhood or a communities’ history or culture tends to be well received, making it crucial to get Lewiston residents involved. 

An effective way to promote public art to the Lewiston community is through programming. During my public art tour, I was amazed by the painted sidewalks throughout downtown Lewiston, all of which were part of a series of works created by Melanie Therrien, a visual artist and art teacher based in Lewiston. Our plan is to launch a photo art contest—inspired by Therrien’s work and the Beatles’ Abbey Road album cover—that will allow participants to safely re-create the Abbey Road album cover using Therrien’s painted sidewalks in a creative manner. I am optimistic that this program and similar efforts will help promote public art and bring Lewiston’s diverse community together in an engaging and creative way. 

Prior to coming to Bates and Maine, I heard many negative comments about Lewiston, which affected my perception of the city. Now that I live here and I am working with an organization that is committed to growing Lewiston, I realize that this is a diverse and vibrant community that is working towards a strong future. I am grateful to be involved in the transformation of our community, and I would like to thank LA Arts and the Harward Center for this opportunity.