Wind Down Weekends
The Office of Campus Life offers Wind Down Weekends funding to support weekend programming promoting a safe and responsible drinking culture at Bates. Wind Down Weekends events occur in the Little Room in Chase Hall or the Underground in 280 College. Any individual student, student club, or student organization may apply for this funding. The individual who applies for this funding must be age 21 or older.
Events approved for Wind Down Weekends funding will have costs related to alcohol, harm reduction food and beverages, security, and servers completely covered by the Office of Campus Life. All other program costs will remain the responsibility of the club or organization. If an individual not affiliated with a club or organization is sponsoring an event, additional funds may be available to cover remaining programming costs.
Applications will be reviewed by the Office of Campus Life based on the following criteria:
- The event/program must feature an activity distinct from the consumption of alcohol.
- The event/program must occur on a Friday or Saturday evening and may start no earlier than 10:00pm. Maine state law requires that alcohol service ends by 1:00am.
- The event must be held in the Little Room in Chase Hall or the Underground in 280 College Street. Larger-scale events may be held in other areas using Wind Down Weekends funding, if the events are open to all students. Note that events in spaces other the the Little Room and 280 Underground require a fenced-off area for 21+ students, which may impact the atmosphere/tone of your event/program.
- The event/program may run for no more than 4 hours.
- The event/program must be open and free to Bates students. These events may not be open to the public.
- At least 2 Security and 1 Campus Life Event Staff member will be present at the event. An event may not be approved for a certain date based on the availability of these staff members.
Once You’re Approved
The individuals, clubs, or student organizations sponsoring the event are responsible for:
- Ensuring the event space is reserved via events.bates.edu. Wind Down Weekends is a funding source, and does not function as space reservation. If this event is not affiliated with a club, please select “Wind Down Weekends” as the reserving group when submitting your reservation.
- Publicity for the event. The Wind Down Weekends logo (provided in your approval email) must be featured prominently on all marketing materials, including but not limited to print, digital signage, and social media.
- Organizing the event (including set-up and clean-up).
- Ensuring that their event is abiding by all college policies and Maine State Law.
- Completing the Event/Program Planner Evaluation Form after the event.
- Submitting any receipts needed to be reimbursed (either personally or via transfer to a club account).