Wind Down Weekends
Wind Down Weekends funding is designed to support weekend programming promoting a safe and responsible drinking culture at Bates.
Wind Down Weekends events occur in the Little Room in Chase Hall or the Underground in 280 College Street. They must start no earlier than 9pm, and end no later than 2am. Please note that late night social events (dances, concerts, DJ nights, etc. must begin no earlier than 11pm, per the Club Operations Policy).
Clubs or organizations approved for Wind Down Weekends funding will have costs related to alcohol, harm reduction food, and beverages covered. All other program costs, including staffing, will remain the responsibility of the club or organization. Note that for the 2018-19 academic year, Campus Life will transfer the necessary funds to cover the cost of staffing to the club or organization’s account. If an individual not affiliated with a club or organization is sponsoring an event, additional funds may be available to cover remaining programming costs.
Any individual student, student club, or student organization may apply for this funding. The individual who submits the application for this funding must be age 21 or older. Please note the Office of Campus Life requires a minimum of two weeks’ planning time for Wind Down Weekends events and programs in order to arrange necessary staffing and apply for a liquor license from the state of Maine.
Applications will be reviewed by the Office of Campus Life based on the following criteria:
- Wind Down Weekends funding applications must be submitted a minimum of 10 business days before the day of the event. This will ensure there will be enough time to coordinate staffing, obtain a Maine liquor license, and work out any other logistical details.
- Proposed event/program must be free and open to all. Wind Down Weekends events/programs may not be open to the public.
- Proposed event/program must feature an activity distinct from the consumption of alcohol. This activity could be as simple as plugging a phone into a sound system and hosting a dance or club night.
- Proposed event/program must occur on a Friday or Saturday evening and may start no earlier than 11:00pm. Exceptions may be made to this on a case-by-case basis; please contact Campus Life. Maine state law requires that alcohol service ends by 1:00am.
- Proposed event/program must be held in the Little Room in Chase Hall or the Underground in 280 College Street. Larger-scale events may be held in other areas using Wind Down Weekends funding. Please contact Campus Life to inquire about this possibility. Note that events in spaces other the the Little Room and 280 Underground require a fenced-off area for 21+ students.
- Staffing availability.
- Other events/programs on campus on the proposed event/program date.
Once You’re Approved
You are responsible for:
- Ensuring the event/program location is reserved via events.bates.edu. Wind Down Weekends is a funding source, and does not function as space reservation. If the event/program is not affiliated with a club or organization, please select “Wind Down Weekends” as the reserving group when submitting your reservation.
- Publicity for the event/program. The Wind Down Weekends logo (provided in your approval email) must be featured prominently on all marketing materials, including but not limited to print, digital signage, and social media.
- Planning and running the event/program, including set-up and clean-up.
- Attending the T-30 meeting 30 minutes prior to the start of your event/program, at which important information will be shared regarding who is on site at your event/program, what their roles are, and the general event/program timeline.
- Completing the Event/Program Planner Evaluation Form after the event.
- Submitting any receipts needed to be reimbursed. Please review your approval email for more details.