21+ Event funding is designed to support weekend programming promoting a safe and responsible drinking culture at Bates.
*Please note, 21+ Event funding applications must be submitted a minimum of 10 business days before the day of the event. This will ensure there will be enough time to coordinate staffing, obtain a Maine liquor license, and work out any other logistical details.*
21+ Events occur in the Underground at 280 College Street. They must start no earlier than 9pm, and end no later than 2am.
Clubs or organizations approved for 21+ Event funding will have costs related to staffing, alcohol, harm reduction food, and beverages covered. All other program costs remain the responsibility of the club or organization. If an individual not affiliated with a club or organization is sponsoring an event, additional funds may be available to cover remaining programming costs.
Any individual student, student club, or student organization may apply for this funding. The individual who submits the application for this funding must be age 21 or older. Please note the Office of Campus Life requires a minimum of two weeks’ planning time for 21+ Events in order to arrange necessary staffing and apply for a liquor license from the state of Maine.
Applications will be reviewed by Campus Life based on the following criteria:
- 21+ Event funding applications must be submitted a minimum of 10 business days before the day of the event. This will ensure there will be enough time to coordinate staffing, obtain a Maine liquor license, and work out any other logistical details.
- 21+ Events may not be open to the public, and must be free for all students.
- Proposed events must feature an activity distinct from the consumption of alcohol. This activity could be as simple as plugging a phone into a sound system and hosting a dance or club night.
- Proposed events must occur on a Friday or Saturday evening and may start no earlier than 11:00pm. Exceptions may be made to this on a case-by-case basis; please contact the Coordinator of Campus Life Programming & Activities (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss exceptions.
- Maine state law requires that alcohol service ends by 1:00am.
- Proposed events must be held in the Underground at Gillespie Hall (280 College St.). Larger-scale events may be held in other areas using 21+ Event funding. Please contact Campus Life to inquire about this possibility. Note that events in spaces other than 280 Underground require a fenced-off area for 21+ students.
- Event Staff must be available to work your event.
- The proposed event should not conflict with other events/programs on campus during the proposed date/time.
Once You’re Approved
You are responsible for:
- Ensuring the event location is reserved via events.bates.edu. 21+ Events is a funding source, and does not function as space reservation. If the event is not affiliated with a club or organization, please select “21+ Events” as the reserving group when submitting your reservation.
- The 21+ Event logo (provided in your approval email) must be featured prominently on all marketing materials, including but not limited to print, digital signage, and social media.
- Planning and running the event, including set-up and clean-up.
- Attending the Event Staff T-30 meeting 30 minutes prior to the start of your event/program, at which important information will be shared regarding who is on site at your event, what their roles are, and the general event timeline.
- Completing the Event Planner Evaluation Form after the event.
- If your club is BCSG-recognized, submitting any receipts needed to be reimbursed via your club’s Bates Engage accounting book. You can review details on how to do this here. Otherwise, working with Campus Life to submit receipts to be reimbursed.