Bates Engage Community Guidelines
The purpose of Bates Engage is to be a resource to students seeking information about how to navigate life on campus. Bates Engage is made by students, for students, and is a service provided by Campus Life.
Bates Engage is Moderated
- Bates Engage has a team of student moderators who check to ensure that these community guidelines are being followed. They report to Nick Dressler in Campus Life.
- The Bates Engage moderators and Campus Life reserve the right to suspend access to Bates Engage at any time, and will generally do so for reasons covered in the guidelines below.
You’re Not Invisible (By Default)
- Bates Engage is a social and communication platform, and it is not anonymous.
- Your name, Bates ID, and (if you so desire) picture are associated with your Bates Engage profile, and your interactions in the app could be perceived or interpreted in ways that are beyond your control.
- You have the option of turning on Invisible Mode from your Settings screen, which will permit you to navigate through the app without being seen by others, and you will not be searchable on the Messages tab.
- Note if you post somewhere while in Invisible Mode, it will be visible, as we assume you want others to interact with you!
- Do not post personal information about yourself or others – anyone in the Bates community can see it, especially when posting in campus discussions, which sends a notification to all users’ phones.
Keep it Topical!
- Please keep all posts topical to the area in which you’re posting. For example, if you’re posting in Ride Sharing, your post should be about offering or finding a ride. If you’re posting on a club group’s wall, your post should be about the club.
- Bates Engage does not have a general discussion area.
- Posts deemed not topical by the student moderators may be removed without notice, and without further penalty, provided they do not also violate the Post by the Rules guidelines below.
Post by the Rules
- Posts may not harass, intimidate, defame, or slander others.
- Posts should not be objectively offensive.
- Do not post pictures of, or pictures that may be construed as, nudity, graphic language, drug and/or alcohol use.
- Do not post pictures of others without their consent.
- Ensure your posts do not violate the Student Code of Conduct or the Sexual Misconduct and Harassment Policy. Posts that do will be referred for appropriate formal disciplinary action relevant to the nature of the post.
- In addition to referral for formal disciplinary action, violating the Post by the Rules guidelines may result in the following measures, which impact your access and use of Bates Engage:
- First violation: written warning.
- Second violation: suspension of Bates Engage access for one week.
- Third violation: suspension of Bates Engage access for the remainder of academic term. A meeting with the Assistant Dean of Students for Campus Life is required for access to be restored.
- Fourth violation: indefinite suspension of Bates Engage access.
- While sanctions relating to access will typically follow the sequence noted above, the moderators reserve the right to enforce a sanction based on the severity of a violation, at their discretion.
See something off? Report it!
- If you see something that violates any of these guidelines, help us better moderate the Bates Engage community by reporting it.
- Every post has a menu button in the lower right corner, next to the like button. Select it, then select “report comment” to notify the Bates Engage moderators that something isn’t right.
- In addition to reporting within the app, you can report incidences of sexual harassment or misconduct here.
- For emergent situations, always contact Bates Security and Campus Safety by calling 207.786.6111.