Short Term

The Short Term Housing Application is now open on HouseCat!

Conceived by the Faculty, Short Term is a period of focused academic study when students on campus engage in structured coursework for a three-week period. 


To remain in college housing, have meals, and/or card access for Short Term, students  (both on-campus and off-campus students) must be registered for one of the following activities:

  1. Enrolled in a Short Term course through the registrar
  2. Registered for an approved program
  3. Participating as a rostered athlete for an in-season varsity sport**

**Varsity Athletes
In-season student-athletes who are not enrolled in a Short Term course or other approved program will need to vacate college housing and will have their access and meals terminated 48 hours after their season ends.


Varsity athlete?
If you are a spring varsity athlete, you do not need to complete the HouseCat application.

Enrolled in a Short Term course through the Registrar?
If you are registered for a course through the Registrar, you do not need to complete the HouseCat application.

Enrolled in a Short Term approved program (listed below)?

You will need to complete a Short Term Housing Application which will become available on April 8th, 2024.

Off-campus study program for the Winter Semester?
Students participating in a Bates approved off-campus study program for the winter semester can register for one of the above activities and thus are eligible for housing, meals, and access during Short Term. Students in this category will need to complete the HouseCat application. 

Currently unenrolled for Winter Term?
Unenrolled students may not return to campus for Short Term. Exceptions may be considered if a student needs a specific Short Term course to fulfill an essential academic requirement that cannot be met in future semesters. All eligibility is determined by the Registrar.

Course and Activity Registration

Students must be enrolled in a Short Term course through the Registrar or registered for an approved program. You should check the Short Term catalog for a full list of opportunities. 

Approved Program Examples 

  • Enrolled in a Short Term course through the Registrar
  • In-season sport Varsity athlete
  • Harward Center Engagement Team
  • Teaching Assistant
  • Research Assistant
  • EMT-B Course
  • Outdoor Leadership/Maine Guide Prep Course
  • Internship Pre-approved by Purposeful Work (reach out to Purposeful Work for approval)

Students may NOT remain on campus solely for the following reasons:

  • To be employed by an administrative office
  • To be employed off-campus
  • To be a volunteer
  • To begin a thesis
  • To be members of club sports teams or campus organizations

Senior Week

All seniors are allowed access on campus and meals for senior week: Sunday, May 19, 2024 from 8 am until Sunday, May 26, 2024 at 5 pm.

Seniors not staying for Short Term will move out of their residence hall on Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at 5:00pm with all other students not remaining on campus for Short Term.  However, seniors should keep their keys and will be able to move back into their Winter Term room on Sunday, May 19th at 8 am.

If you graduated in December, please email for a housing assignment. You must be here for one of the reasons above if you are interested in the previous weeks of Short Term.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I stay on campus if I don’t take a Short Term course?
Based on the variety of academic and enriching opportunities available during Short Term, there are several options students can register for through the registrar. You must enroll in a Short Term course through the registrar, register for an approved program through the registrar, or participate as a rostered athlete for an in-season varsity sport** to stay for Short Term. 

Can I move rooms for Short Term?
Because of the brief nature of Short Term, our office does not run a room change process for Short Term. Your winter booking will carry over to Short Term.

I’m a senior, who lives off-campus, how can I stay on the meal plan/have building access?
To be an active student and qualify for your card to work around campus, have meals, etc. the same eligibility requirements for on-campus apply. 

Can I stay and watch my friend graduate?
All non-seniors will lose access to their housing on Thursday, May 23, 2024, at 5 p.m. If a close friend is graduating you should make plans to move your items out of your room, return your key, and arrange to stay with your graduating friend after Thursday at 5 p.m., as non-seniors will no longer have access.

Short Term Housing Process & Housing Dates

Saturday, March 2-  Friday, March 8, 2024 Registration for Short Term Courses. If a student is registered for a Short Term Course, they do not need to fill in a HouseCat application. Their housing will carry over.
Friday, March 29, 2024 Athletics produces rosters for spring varsity sports. If a student is a rostered spring varsity athlete, they do not need to fill in a HouseCat application. Their housing will carry over until their season ends.*
Tuesday, April 9, 2024 Short Term Housing Applications open (see above for reasons to apply)
Monday, April 15, 2024 Short Term Housing Applications close at 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 23, 2024 Residences close at 5:00 p.m. for students not staying for Short Term.
Sunday, April 28, 2024 Residence Halls open at 8:00 a.m. for students that were not on campus for the winter semester. The board plan begins at dinner.
Thursday, May 23, 2024 Residence Halls close for non-seniors at 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 26, 2024 Senior residences close at 5:00 p.m.