Major, Minor, Concentration Declarations

Online declarations – Student FAQ

Where do I find the major, minor, concentration declaration page in Garnet Gateway?

Look under the “Students” menu, then under “Degree”, click on the “Declare Majors, Minors, and Concentrations” link.

If I have already declared a major or minor (formerly secondary concentrations) on paper do I have to re-declare it online?

No, any former declarations are still intact and may be viewed on the “Declare Components” page under the “Declare Majors, Minors, and Concentrations” link.

I’m thinking of declaring a major or minor in a particular department/program but am not sure I’m ready. What should I do?

Talking with your underclass advisor is a good way to start. If you know a faculty member from the department/program you are interested in they may be able to advise if the department/program you are considering would be a good choice. The chair is also a resource if you are unsure.

I would like to declare my major/minor/concentration now. What do I do?

Login into the Garnet Gateway and from the “Students” menu, under “Degree” click on “Declare Majors, Minors, and Concentrations.” Follow the on-screen instructions to select a department/program and to initiate the declaration.

Do I have to select an advisor? I don’t know who to select.

You don’t have to. The department chair can help you determine who the best advisor will be for you. Once you have selected a department/program from the pull-down menu simply click on “Send to chair” to notify the chair of your intent to declare.

The Garnet Gateway instructions say I must meet with the department/program chair and the advisor I chose/the advisor the chair assigned. Do we have to meet in person?

Yes, you must meet with both chair and the requested/assigned advisor to review your candidacy for the major. Please arrange to meet as soon as possible.

I’ve met with both the chair and my new advisor. Am I declared?

No, you must return to the Garnet Gateway and check your status on the “Declare Components” page. Once both faculty members have granted you approval to declare, log into the Garnet Gateway and navigate to the “Declare Majors, Minors, and Concentrations” link. On the “Declare Components” page click “declare major” or “declare minor” next to the major/minor you are ready to declare to finalize the declaration and have it posted by the Registrar’s Office to your record.

How do I know when my chair and/or advisor have approved my major/minor?

You will receive an email letting you know the approval has been granted.

Is there a deadline to declare my major(s), minors(s), and concentrations(s)?

Yes, you must have declared your major plus one by March 1st of your sophomore year. Students who do not meet this deadline will not be eligible to register for Short Term or the following Fall registration until this is complete.

Can I drop a major/minor/concentration online?

Yes, click on the “Declare Majors, Minors, and Concentrations” link and click the “drop” button next to the appropriate major/minor/concentration. Please note, the chair and advisor will be notified of the drop. Re-adding the major/minor/concentration will take going through the process again so consider carefully before dropping.

Can I change my advisor after I have declared?

Yes, although this is currently still a paper process. You can pick up a change of advisor form from the Registrar’s Office.