Off-Campus Short Term Course Proposal Form
Submit the online Off-Campus Short Term Course Proposal Form
You will need to upload to the Proposal Form the following items (Make sure that you have all materials ready to upload before you start filling out the online form. You cannot save the form and return to it at a later date.):
- the project statement: We encourage concise (no more than two single-spaced pages) statements addressing the following:
- Description of the Short Term course in which the proposed off-campus experience will be embedded.
- Academic rationale for the off-campus, extra cost component of the Short Term course – addressing all relevant criteria below:
- Are there explicit learning outcomes connected to the course content that can only or can best be derived through teaching and learning off-campus? Does the off-campus experience contribute to the development of skills specific to the disciplinary or interdisciplinary nature of the course?
- Does the time off-campus immerse students in the local site through the course design? Does the off-campus experience provide opportunities for sustained engagement with varied members of the local community and with multiple resources in the host culture? How does the proposed off-campus experience provide students with guided learning opportunities that they could not have on their own, as tourists?
- Does the regional seminar connect students directly with local scholars and/or other leaders in the field or community? How will the off-campus experience contribute knowledge to the host community around issues of interest to that community or through other forms of locally-responsive reciprocity?
- How is student safety and security addressed in the design and implementation of the off-campus experience?
- Does the proposal demonstrate budgetary effectiveness and fiscal responsibility in its design and implementation? Does the proposal justify the length of time spent at the destination?
- How will you assess what students have learned that is specific to this off-campus experience? Will you require students to bring critical reflection and analysis to their learning experience through a graded assignment for the course?
- Student selection criteria.
- Description of faculty familiarity with the destination and existing local links.
- Itinerary: a tentative day-to-day itinerary for the time off-campus, including proposed dates, destinations, instructional and/or research activities.
- Budget proposal: please submit the Off-Campus Short Term Budget Worksheet used to generate your proposed budget.
- Syllabus Draft: include a draft course syllabus
- Approvals: please obtain the necessary signatures on the Off-Campus Short Term Course Approvals form.