Federal or State Grants & Contracts
Once a federal or state grant or contract proposal has been successfully approved and the Accounting office has been notified, a fund number will be assigned and the Principal Investigator/fund manager will be contacted.
The Principal Investigator has the primary responsibility for ensuring that financial transactions are reviewed, approved and are in compliance with the terms of the grant and the federal/state cost principles. The Office of Sponsored Research and Compliance and the Accounting office serve as additional reviews for compliance and assistance with cost principles. If there are questions related to the allowability of costs, they should be discussed with the Office of Sponsored Research and Compliance before the expense is submitted for review and approval; in all cases, questionable or unallowable costs for federal or state grant purposes must be routed to institutional funds.
The federal cost principles and administrative requirements for any new awards or contracts effective December 26, 2014 or after are found in 2 CFR Part 200 Uniform Guidance. For awards and contracts effective December 25, 2014 and prior, the federal cost principles can be found at OMB Circular A-21 and the federal uniform administration requirements are found at OMB Circular A-110. Also see Faculty Scholarship for a complete listing of resources available in support of faculty scholarship and research.
It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator to be well-informed of all grant activity. This includes ensuring that:
- Any charges to the federal grant are:
- allowable under both the provisions of the federal guidance and under the specific terms of the award
- allocable, determined that the expense can be associated to the federal project with a high degree of accuracy and certainty; and directly supports the scope of the work
- reasonable, whereby the cost reflects prudence
- Charges to the grant do not exceed available funds
- Salary and wages charged to the grant are consistent with the effort expended by individuals working on the project.
- All federal and College policies are adhered to
Principal Investigators should contact the Office of Sponsored Research and Compliance for assistance in reviewing transactions or with questions regarding compliance with federal or state requirements.
See Department Reports for information on fund balance and transaction reports.
See the Federal Audit Clearinghouse for current and historical Bates Single Audit Reports.
For more information on the following Federal or State Grants & Contracts topics, please choose from the links below: