Business Expense and Travel Reimbursement

To obtain reimbursement for business expenses and travel, individuals must complete and submit a Travel and Expense Report or Payment Request Form that includes the payee’s electronic signature and the approver’s name and email address in order to route for approval by the appropriate Department Head, Dean or Vice President.

The Travel and Expense Report and Payment Request Form have been developed to assist individuals in providing the detailed information required for compliance with College policies and Federal expense substantiation requirements.  Expense documentation must be submitted within a reasonable period of time, defined by the IRS as 60 days after the expenses were paid or incurred.  In rare and exceptional circumstances, documentation submitted after 60 days must include a written explanation and requires the additional approval of the appropriate Dean or Vice President.

The Travel and Expense Report or Payment Request Form (for expense reimbursement unrelated to travel) should be filled in completely with the original detailed receipts attached and must include the travel itinerary showing the business purpose for each day of business expense claimed.  As with any College payment, original documentation and original itemized receipts are necessary to substantiate expenditures and eliminate the possibility of duplicate payments.  Monthly charge card statements do not constitute original receipts, however, charge card addenda records may be used as receipts when they contain itemized details pertaining to the purchase.  In remote locations where receipts may be difficult to obtain, individuals may keep a log of the expenses to submit with the Travel and Expense Report or Payment Request Form.  Unreceipted expenses should not exceed $35 per day, excluding meals, and are reimbursable to the extent that there was an actual out-of-pocket expense incurred and proof of payment may be required.  In the rare case that a missing receipt(s) exceeds the $35 threshold, a Missing Receipt Affidavit must be completed and submitted in order to obtain reimbursement.  See Meals & Lodging for information on meal receipts.

Travel advances including advances for airline tickets and conference registrations must be included on the Travel and Expense Report and will be deducted before reimbursement funds are issued.