- Perusall will first direct you through a tour to describe the icons within the page. If you would like to restart the tour, select your name in the top right-hand corner for a drop down menu. Then select ‘Restart tour’
- Each icon is described as followed:
- Highlighting text:
- Annotating/’Commenting’ on text:
- Full list of comments:
- Starring comments:
- Navigating document by viewing thumbnail:
- Navigating document by table of contents:
- Searching the entire document:
- Taking notes:
Adding Annotations (‘Comments’) to Documents or E-Books
When commenting on sections of text within your document or e-book, the ‘highlights’ will appear as different colors based on who makes them. Students will appear as ‘yellow’ and instructors will appear as ‘blue’. Below is an example of both within an uploaded document:
By default, Perusall will have you highlighting the text within the document when this icon is highlight at the top of your page:
There is also a way to highlight sections of the document by dragging and drawing a box. This is good for documents that may not be processed correctly through Perusall and do not allow you to highlight to text, or for images/diagrams within an article or e-book:
To create a comment, highlight the text or section you would like to add it to. On the right hand corner, you will see a chat bubble with your initials next to it. To add text, click on the chat bubble and type your comment. When you are done, press the ‘return’ or ‘enter’ key to save your text. For the example below, ‘Title’ was comment and saved by pressing the ‘return’ key. Below the original comment, Perusall allows the user the ability to add another comment to the same highlighted text or section. To edit the original comment, select the word ‘Title’ and the HTML edit box will appear
This HTML box will allow you to customize your comments by:
- Bold/Italic Fonts
- Different Text Colors
- Different Text Background Colors
- Adding Latex
- Adding Emojis
- Inserting Code
- Adding Images
- Linking Other URLs
- Adding Videos
- Posting Comments Anonymously
The icons under your comment bubbles also allow for different abilities, such as copying a comment, copying threads in a comment, flagging a comment, staring a comment, and deleting a comment
To delete a comment, select the trash icon underneath the comment bubble:
To star a comment, select the start icon:
To flag a comment as inappropriate or plagiarism, select the triangle icon:
To copy comment threads, select the link icon:
To copy a comment, select the paper icon:
**For more information on how to add text to your Perusall site, follow these help sheets:
- How do I review student work?
- Can I add comments or questions directed to students?
- How does the student activity report work?
- Can students post comments anonymously?
- How does Perusall handle inappropriate content posted by students?
- Can I review the comments from a single student?
- Can I create different assignments for different students?
- Can I allow students to download the readings?
- Perusall Assignment Support