Hiring Independent Contractors

Below you will find basic information based on IRS guidelines to consider when thinking about independent contractors. If you have questions, please contact Human Resources at (207) 786-6140 or hrdept@bates.edu .

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

Before we can determine how to treat payments for services, we must first know the business relationship that exists between your department and the person performing the services. In determining whether the person providing service is an employee or an independent contractor, we have a list of questions that help us determine the degree of control over the work which must be considered.

An independent contractor (IC) is someone who runs his or her own business. Independent contractors earn their livelihoods from their own businesses instead of depending upon employers to earn a living. Independent contractors are sometimes called consultants, freelancers, self-employed, and even entrepreneurs or business owners.  Unlike an employee who works for one employer, independent contractors typically work for a number of different clients, tackling particular jobs or projects that require special expertise.

It is critical that Bates College correctly determine whether the individuals providing services are employees or independent contractors.  If you are considering hiring an independent contractor please contact the Human Resources Office prior to negotiating an agreement so we may determine the proper classification.