Nominated by fellow alumni, the Alumni Council is a representative body of the Bates Alumni Association, which provides advice and counsel to Bates College Advancement regarding alumni engagement and also serves as a liaison between the Association and the college.
The purposes of the Alumni Council are to:
- Support the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the college, advancement office, and alumni engagement
- Be a positive, energetic ambassador for Bates
- Demonstrate the highest levels of commitment of personal capital to the college and alumni engagement
If you have questions or suggestions about alumni engagement, the Alumni Council can be one of your most effective means of communicating your ideas and concerns. Please send your feedback to us at email@example.com.
View Alumni Council Position Description
Bates College Alumni Council Position Description
The Bates College Alumni Council serves in an advisory role to the Bates Alumni Engagement and College Advancement staff and is the primary liaison between the alumni and Bates College. Members of the Alumni Council support the college’s efforts (programs, activities, volunteer service, etc.) to engage alumni with each other and with Bates.
It is the responsibility of all members of the Bates Alumni Council to attend to the needs of the Council and the College, as defined by the President in consultation with the Assistant Vice President for Alumni Engagement or the AVP’s designee. Members of the Council may be assigned a portfolio of responsibilities or given a mandate to focus on a particular area of interest or importance to the Alumni Council or Association, for example: focusing on a critical population of the Association (e.g. virtual programming, professional development, affinity or identity groups) or aspect of the College with which Council involvement is required or warranted (e.g. equity and inclusion, philanthropy). The roles of all Council members are flexible in order to meet the most immediate needs of the College.
It is also expected that each member of the Alumni Council will be an annual donor and supporter of the Bates Fund and, if possible, make a leadership gift.
Beyond the items noted above, the Council has no formal governance role for the college. The Alumni Association is not an independent organization and the Council is neither a governing nor an elected representative body.
Description of Responsibilities:
1. Board Participation
- Attends and actively participates in Council and assigned Committee meetings.
- Serves as a member of at least one Council committee – where assigned, as needed, or of interest
- Communicates with classmates/alumni community regarding Alumni Engagement/Bates programs and activities
- Regularly attends Bates College and Alumni Engagement events, either in your area or virtually
- Participates in and promotes networking and professional development initiatives to alumni and students
- Identifies potential alumni volunteers, sharing information with staff and other Council members
- Uses every opportunity to widen and deepen the circles of alumni engagement and support in the life of Bates College
- Serves as an advocate for Bates alumni, as well as an advocate and ambassador for Bates College
Summary of Qualifications:
Candidates should have a desire to both support and grow/enhance the programs of Bates College Advancement, Alumni Engagement, and the Council. They should also demonstrate an interest in building and sustaining strong relationships with alumni of the college, as well as faculty, students and staff on the campus.
Candidates for the Alumni Council are also encouraged to have:
- proven leadership in the Bates alumni community, or as a student leader
- strong leadership, management and communication skills
- fluency with social media/digital platforms and other forms of communication
- at least one year of successful volunteer service with Bates
The Alumni Council recognizes that there is no perfect candidate for this role. Your skills, interests, and volunteer experience may differ from other candidates, and those differences make for a stronger Council. Please apply if you care about Bates and want to collaborate with others to strengthen the relationships between alumni, students, and the college.
Term: The term of office for all Council members is three years, beginning July 1. Members of the Council may be selected by the Governance Committee to serve for one additional, consecutive three-year term.
Staff Liaison: To be determined, depending on the portfolio
Committee Responsibilities/Time Required: Varying, depending on the portfolio. Alumni Council members are expected to attend all meetings of the Council. There may be the expectation of membership in a sub-committee/task force to further the work of the Council and Alumni Engagement/College Advancement.
Meet Your Alumni Council
Alumni Council members are nominated by alumni and voted upon by the current council members.
Alumni Council Subcommittees
Learn about the different Subcommittee groups, their areas of focus and goals.
Alumni Association Bylaws
Explore more about the purpose and other governing rules behind the Alumni Association.
Alumni Awards and Recognition
The Alumni Council confers a variety of Alumni Awards each year to recognize the achievements and volunteer contributions of our alumni, parents, and friends.