What is an educational record?
Just about any information directly related to a student and maintained by Bates College or by a person acting for the College is considered a student educational record. Any record related directly to a student should be held in confidence.
Examples of educational records include:
- grades / transcripts
- student schedules
exams, papers, theses, etc.
- student email
- advising records
- any personally identifiable information
Educational records are not:
- law enforcement records, as defined in FERPA
- employment records
- medical records
- post-attendance records
- sole possession records (not accessible or revealed to any other person)
The storage media in which you find this information does not matter. A student educational record may be found:
- on a document in any administrative or faculty office
- on the screen of an ipad
- a computer display screen
- on a pad of paper used during an advising session