Auditing a Course – Bates Students
Bates students may find that they have interest in a course but not want to or be able to take it for credit. This is known as auditing a course. Bates has no official course status of audit so students should keep in mind the following:
- Auditing is an informal arrangement between the student and the instructor.
- There is no record kept and the course will not be graded, appear on the transcript, or count toward degree requirements.
- The instructor must grant permission.
- The student should not expect to do any work of the course or participate in anything beyond discussion.
- Lyceum – if the instructor is amenable they may grant the auditing student Lyceum access by emailing Michael Hanrahan, Director for Curricular and Research Computing, and request that they be added to the course. Again, the student should not do any work for the course even if they are granted Lyceum access.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office.