What is the Difference between a Curriculum Vitae and a Resume?
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- What is it? A summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, and affiliations.
- How long should it be? There is no page limit.
- What is it used for? Typically for graduate school and academic positions including faculty openings, assistantships, and internships; also grant, scholarship and fellowship applications.
- What is it? A synopsis of the most relevant professional experiences you have for the particular job for which you are applying.
- How long should it be? One to two pages in length.
- What is it used for? Typically, you will use a resume when you apply for business, industry, governmental, and non-profit jobs.
- See the BCDC Resume Guide for more information.