In The News
- Purpose & Character in Higher Education with Nathan Hatch, Robert Franklin, Jr., and Clayton Spencer
“Virtues & Vocations” Forum, Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University
- Education, Meaningful Work & the COVID-19 Unemployment Challenge
New World of Work, Learnit
- Finding Purpose
The Mary Christie Quarterly
- Purposeful Work Case Study in “Uncharted Territory: A Guide to Reimagining Higher Education”
Stanford 2025 Project, Stanford d.school
- The college-career sequence in reverse
WGBH, On Campus Radio
- The thing that turns a liberal arts education into a meaningful job
- How one small college helps its students find “purposeful work”
- Purpose as Well as Paycheck
Inside Higher Ed
- What’s the Purpose of College?
- Bates College, Gallup report: Grads want ‘purposeful’ work
Lewiston Sun Journal
- How Colleges Help Students Find Purpose in Their Work
The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Washington Post Live – Transformers: Education 360°
President Clayton Spencer joined former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and now U.S. Rep. Donna Shalala, D-Fla., and Dr. Wayne A.I. Frederick, president of Howard University, for a discussion about innovation in education.
- Liberal arts watch: Colleges appeal to students with ‘purposeful work’
The Christian Science Monitor
- One college finally designed a liberal arts education fit for the future of work
- At Bates College, New Focus On ‘Purposeful Work’
- Bates College prepares students for work that fits their skills and interests
- Purposeful Work on Maine Public Radio’s Maine Calling
A live, interactive radio broadcast from the Edmund S. Muskie Archives at Bates College
Additional Purposeful Work Coverage
- Speech by President Clayton Spencer at the 187th Convocation of Bishop’s University
- When legal nonprofit needs French language interpreters, Bates students step in
French and francophone studies majors volunteer to interpret during asylum seekers’ meetings with their potential lawyers, in a partnership that has only grown.
- A tuna tournament helps Michaela Pinette ’19 get in tune with purposeful work
Michaela Pinette ’19 wasn’t expecting a summer of sifting through bloody tuna parts for science, nor enjoying it so much. That’s the beauty of Purposeful Work.
- In labs, startups, and city streets, Bates students learn the meaning of their own work
In museums, labs, and cities; in San Francisco, Shenzhen, and Lewiston, Bates-funded summer experiences help students explore their interests and discover what’s purposeful to them.
- Advising Grads to ‘Follow Your Passion’ is Bunk. Here’s Why
- Q&A: Students Click with Digital Marketing Consultant Ashley Hart ’91 in her Practitioner-Taught Course
- Q&A: Bates psychologist Rebecca Fraser-Thill on drawing a blueprint for your future
- Purposeful Work Unplugged: U.S. Sen. Susan Collins
- Bates Magazine cover feature on Purposeful Work.
- Some Thoughts on Work: Remarks at Convocation 2013 by President Clayton Spencer