Purposeful Work Mini Grant Funding Request Form
The Bates Center for Purposeful Work offers limited financial support to students for travel, graduate school test prep & applications, and other opportunities and needs insofar as they relate to Purposeful Work. These funds do not have to be repaid but we hope that one day in the future when a beneficiary of this support is in a position to assist a current Batesie by giving advice, hosting a job shadow or internship, or simply by staying involved, they will.
This form is not intended for Purposeful Work Internship Funding. If you have an internship and would like to apply for funding, please see the Purposeful Work Internship web page.
For requests that are academic and/or research in nature, we encourage students to first apply to the Bates Student Research Fund.
STEM students seeking travel grants for conferences and professional meetings may apply for STEM Travel Grants.
Each year, demand exceeds available funding, and in many cases, these monies will not cover the entire request (Mini Grant awards are available up to $300.00 for most purposes, with exceptions for certain circumstances). Funds are increasingly limited toward the end of the academic year. Requesting and/or receiving support will not affect a student’s annual financial aid award.
Our office receives and responds to financial requests on a weekly basis. For more pressing emergencies, students should contact the Dean of Student’s Office.
Purposeful Work Mini Grant Funding Rubric
Please read the funding rubric below for a better understanding of how the mini grant committee makes funding decisions.
1. Quality of Application
- Answered Questions Effectively
- Complete Application
2. Quality of Experience
- How does the experience contribute to your exploration of purposeful work?
3. Financial Need
- High: 4
- Medium: 3
- Low: 2
- No Need: 0
4. Statement of Need
- Extenuating Circumstances: 4
- Compelling Circumstances: 1-2
- No Demonstrated Need: 0
5. Academic Year Employment
- On-campus/Local Employment During Academic Year: 1
6. Prior Purposeful Work Funding
- Previous Purposeful Work Mini Grant Funding: -1
Below is a list of some types of assistance students have requested in the past. Requests for assistance from Purposeful Work are not limited to those on this list:
- Travel (bus, train, car, and air) to and from job shadows, internships, or job interviews
- Test prep courses (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT)
- Graduate/Professional School application fees
Expenses Not Covered by the Purposeful Work Support Fund:
- Tuition, fees, or study abroad costs
- Non-essential personal bills such as utility, credit card, cable or cell phone bills
- Parking tickets, library fines, or similarly preventable expenses
Requests are considered every week during the academic year and students will be contacted by a member of the Center for Purposeful Work staff via campus email to discuss individual requests.
Once notified, students will work with the staff from the Center for Purposeful Work to ascertain the quickest and easiest way to meet the approved financial request.