Handshake Internship/Job Search Platform
Handshake is Bates’ online tool for exploration, planning, research, and internship and job listings.
Students and alumni can use the direct Bates link: handshake.bates.edu to create their own profiles and portfolios to share with potential employers and job shadow hosts, maintain checklists for planning their path, and access scores of resources through the Center for Purposeful Work.
With listings from thousands of employers targeted at college students and recent graduates including Bates-specific listings from alumni and parents, Handshake makes opportunities and industry knowledge available to all Bates students on a level playing fieldLogin to Handshake
Schedule a Meeting with a Purposeful Work Counselor
1. Zoom (we will send a link to your Bates email)
2. Google Meet (we will send a link to your Bates email)
3. Phone (please provide a phone number in the Handshake notes or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. In person (MUST be pre-arranged with the counselor)
Once you’ve scheduled:
For any appointment medium: Check your email or Google Calendar for the meeting invitation detailing your counselor’s name and phone number, as well as applicable meeting links.
*Alumni can schedule an appointment with a Purposeful Work Counselor by emailing email@example.com.
Update Your Career Interests in Handshake To Receive Emails with Opportunities Targeted to Your Interests
- In Handshake, click on the circle image in the upper right corner to open a drop down menu.
- Select My Career Interests.
- Answer each question, paying particular attention to these two questions:
- Which Bates College career clusters best match your interests?
- Which industries interest you?
- Click Save My Career Interests
- Purposeful Work staff and Handshake will frequently send targeted emails about employers, events, and opportunities based on your selected career clusters, industries, and roles of interest. You don’t want to miss out on these communications!
Save a Job Search in Handshake and Receive Notifications of New Opportunities That Fit Those Parameters
- Log in to Handshake (handshake.bates.edu).
- Click on Jobs at the top of your screen.
- Select All Filters (this will open a pop-up box).
- Under Job Type – select On-Campus.
- Select Show Results at the bottom right of the pop-up box.
You should now see all On-Campus Student Employment positions that are open for application.
To Save Your Search:
- On this Jobs screen, look for the “Don’t Miss Out!” box on the left.
- Click on Save Your Search.
- This will now prompt Handshake to notify you about any new jobs matching this search. Do Not navigate away from this page without setting your Notification Preferences.
To Set Notification Preferences:
- Next click on the Edit Your Notifications link within the “This search has been saved!” box. In this next pop-up, you can name your specific search and decide how you’d like to receive notifications (via Email, In-App, Push (Mobile)). You can also determine the frequency of these notifications either Daily or Weekly.
- Click Save.
Handshake will now notify you via the method and frequency you selected when new on-campus student employment positions have been posted to the system.