Purposeful Work Internships
Looking for a summer internship?
Start thinking about: what are you curious about, which skills would you like to work on this summer, what are your budgetary needs, whether you’d like to be in-person, remote, or hybrid, where you’d like to live, etc…
As a starting point, check out:
- Bates Summer Funded Opportunities
- You can find more about all the funding sources at Bates for low or unpaid summer internships
- PW Employer Partner Program
- Through this program, employers provide strong mentorship, meaningful summer work, and opportunities to network across industry
- Deadlines vary so check back often as this is updated on a rolling basis as soon as we receive confirmed details from our Employer Partners
- Employer Partner postings 2024
- PW Competitive Funding Program
- Already secured an unpaid or low paying internship and need additional funds? Consider applying here.
- Make sure your profile preferences and career interests are up to date to inform the algorithms
- See a few other starter search engines below:
Already have a summer internship and need financial support?
PW 2024 Internship Competitive Funding
- Bates sophomores (2026) and juniors (2025) who have received an offer for an unpaid or low-paying internship will be eligible to apply for funds.
- To apply for Purposeful Work 2024 Competitive Internship Funding you must submit all materials (resume reviewed by PW, short answers, budget and employer verification form) by the Funding Application deadlines (March 1-passed, 2024, April 1, 2024 and May 1, 2024)
- Internship funding awards will range from $2500 to $5000 to support internships ranging from 250 to 300 hours.
- A thoughtful application and budget will be very helpful for the committee’s consideration.
*Please note- each round has a new application link on Handshake.
Through the Purposeful Work Internship Programs, students explore interests, deepen skills, and build networks during the summer. Students learn about and experience preparation for the overall process of life and work exploration.
The Purposeful Work approach to summer internships gives students the tools they need to deepen what they learn through their internship, as well as access to Bates-specific paid internships with employer partners in diverse industries and locations, and the chance to apply for a summer stipend for any unpaid or low-paying internship.
Through the programs, students benefit from application feedback, goal setting, and reflection activities designed to help maximize their experiences, strengthen their skills, and build connections within their site and across industries.
After an enriching and reflective experience, students return to campus ready to connect their summer experience to their studies and present on what they’ve learned during their time in a professional environment.
Components of the program include:
- Comprehensive and personalized learning experience
- Career Counseling that will help strengthen application materials through the Bates Center for Purposeful Work
- Participation in weekly virtual cohorts to encourage reflection and discussion of personalized goals with fellow Bates students
- Post-program presentations to reflect on their summer experience and pay their knowledge forward.
- Bates Summer Funding Opportunities
- Budget Template
- Competitive Funding Details
- Cost of Living Estimator
- Housing Resources
- 2024 Employer Partner active postings (opportunities are posted on a rolling basis)
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.