Activities to Explore Purposeful Work
START WITH UNDERSTANDING YOU
If you do work that you are interested in and that uses your strengths and skills every day, you will find meaning and purpose in that work. Doing a self-assessment to understand your transferable skills is a first step in that exploration. Understanding your transferable skills and strengths won’t point you to one specific career you “should” pursue, but it will give you a good perspective about yourself to explore many types of work (academic, volunteer, and career) that interest you.
ACTIVITY ONE: Complete SkillScan – even if you did it three years ago!
Move quickly through your answers; don’t think too long on each skill, but go with your first thought.
ACTIVITY TWO: Reflect on your top Skill Categories
- Go to your report and click on the Personal Skill Chart to see your top Skill Categories.
- Are you surprised by your ‘top 4’ or ‘lowest 2’ skill categories? Why or why not?
- Navigate to the next section of your Skill Set Portfolio. Skill Sets describe your specific strengths within your Categories. Pay attention to these specific strengths.
ACTIVITY THREE: Reflect on your Skill Set Themes
- Consider your Skill Set Themes and think about roles you have had in your life that have given you the most satisfaction.
- Which skills in your Themes did these favorite roles or activities require?
GET TO KNOW HANDSHAKE
ACTIVITY ONE: Update your Career Interests
- Navigate to the upper right-hand corner of the screen and click on your initials or photo
- Select the Career Interests option
- Select any and all areas that interest you. Purposeful Work and Handshake will send you messages about events and opportunities that most interest you.
ACTIVITY TWO: Complete or Update your Profile
Employers that recruit college students for jobs and internships may search Handshake for potential applicants. Check your Settings & Privacy selections to see who you can view your profile. If your profile is visible to employers, you’ll want to keep it updated with your latest experiences.
ACTIVITY THREE: Upload your Resume
Upload a current resume to the Documents section. You’ll be ready to quick-apply to any opportunity posted in Handshake.
Delete old documents or adjust the visibility. We are happy to review and give guidance on your resume! You can email it to email@example.com
ACTIVITY FOUR: Search for Opportunities
Experiment with searching Handshake. Try using our favorite search functions:
- Geography – pick a city and state to focus your search in one location
- Industry (under All Filters) – what broad fields seem appealing? Narrow the search based on the industry
- Function (under All Filters) – what king of job responsibilities might be of interest?
- Type of Opportunity – select full-time job, internship, fellowship, part-time or on-campus
EXPLORE INDUSTRIES & COUNTRIES
Visit the Resources area in Handshake. Navigate to the Career Center menu in the upper right hand corner and click on Resources. Explore the Resources Library.
ACTIVITY ONE: From the Resource Library, select Vault Campus, and discover what it is like to live a day in the life of any profession.
- Explore the Industry Guides section and identify one industry that interests you.
- Read the guide to find answers to the following questions:
- What are the entry-level job titles in that industry?
- What skills and experiences are required for that work?
- What is the typical hiring timeframe for that industry?
ACTIVITY TWO: Check out Going Global to discover what it is like to work in another country. Examples:
- Office Protocols in Malaysia
- Interview Advice for Austria
- Cost of living information in Saudi Arabia
ACTIVITY THREE: Learn about other helpful resources offered by the Center for Purposeful Work.
- Watch our presentation about Resources on YouTube
- Identify other resources that are available that you didn’t know about.
TAP INTO THE BATES NETWORK
The Bates alumni network is powerful. Bates alums love to connect with current students and answer questions about work and careers. Although Bates alums are excited to talk to you it may feel intimidating. If that is the case for you – you are not alone. Please schedule an appointment with a staff member in the Center for PW to talk about it.
To reach out to Bates alumni eager to mentor and connect with you, here are the two most powerful online tools we suggest:
ACTIVITY ONE: Learn about Bates Bridge
- Watch our Bates Bridge Webinar on YouTube
- Set up your profile on BatesBridge
- Find three interesting alumni that you’d like to connect with
- Reach out and schedule a 30 minute meeting
ACTIVITY TWO: Connect on LinkedIn
UPDATE YOUR RESUME
ACTIVITY ONE: Review our Resume Guide including the sample resumes.
ACTIVITY TWO: Watch the Tune Up Your Resume Webinar on You Tube
ACTIVITY THREE: Using the examples in the guide and advice from the webinar, draft a new resume or update your existing one
ACTIVITY FOUR: Send your resume draft to PurposefulWork@Bates.edu for review and comment!
EXPLORE GRADUATE SCHOOL
Are you considering graduate or professional school? We are happy to help guide you. (and your favorite faculty members likely are, too)
ACTIVITY ONE: Watch Grad School 101 Webinar on YouTube
ACTIVITY TWO: Check out our Fall 2020 Grad School Workshop and Alumni Panel Series here.
ACTIVITY THREE: Set up an appointment with an advisor to strategize. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org