SUS: EcoRep (S9892C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Thank you for you interest in becoming an EcoRep here at Bates College. EcoReps serve as a resource for information about sustainability programs. In this paid position you’ll have an opportunity to help shape Bates by working to make the campus more environmentally sustainable. As an EcoRep, you will work in a team to develop and implement programs and peer-to-peer outreach to promote recycling, energy conservation, and sustainable transportation.
Specific responsibilities include:
- All EcoReps must attend a full one-day training on September 4th (the day before fall semester classes begin)
- During the semester all EcoReps must attend scheduled weekly meetings excluding finals and breaks.
- EcoReps are expected to work approximately 5-8 hours per week excluding finals and breaks; work hours may vary from week to week depending on needs (e.g. one week may involve outreach in residence halls in the evenings, the next may involve outreach at lunchtime, the next may be organizing an event on the quad in the afternoon, etc.)
- EcoReps are expected to take independent initiative and work with the group.
Other Work Tasks May Include:
- Creative outreach and educating students about environmental issues (energy conservation, recycling, waste minimization, sustainable transportation, etc.)
- Assisting in the development of campus programs.
- Organizing and/or participating in activities & events that promote environmental awareness.
- Recruiting and coordinating student volunteers to participate in activities and events.
- Assisting in the preparation of a quarterly newsletter.
There are many benefits to being an EcoRep including working with a team of students who have similar aspirations, helping to shape a more sustainable campus culture, and developing your strengths as an agent of change. As an EcoRep you will be able to use your skills and passions to help implement successful programs.
If you are interested in joining this team, please email email@example.com for a formal application. Then, submit your application by Friday May 11th through email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can drop off your application at the front office in Facilities Services and ask them to put it in my mailbox. Interviews will take place the week of May 14th.
NOTE: If you will not be on campus during short term, you must submit your application by Tuesday Apr 3rd and make time for a short interview before you leave.
If you have any questions about the Eco-Rep position or the selection process, please do not hesitate to contact Julie Rosenbach, Manager of Sustainability Initiatives at 207-786-8367 or email@example.com.